About Me

Saturday, September 21, 2013

a state affair

I've always loved state fairs. Maybe it's the weird food? The nasty, greasy food I only eat once a year? The rides that they assembled in five minutes? The hoochie teenagers? It's all part of the appeal. I grew up going to them, drawing about the Zipper and the Gravitron in my journal when I was 8 yrs old. Let's be honest, I can't remember most things about my childhood, but the Zipper I do remember. The Pirate ship? Clear as day. 

This year I went to the Utah State Fair. It did not disappoint!
 
 We saw lots of weird things/people...
Toll: is this a man or a woman?
 And lots of weird foods....
 And lots of fried (good?) foods...

 But my favorite, I think, was the Utah sheep ugly-sweater-contest-gone-eights-spandex party. This sheep had my vote, for sure:
 I told Jacob all about my favorite rides and just as we turned the corner, there it was. Shining brightly, carts twirling, people puking, and squeaking machinery - THE ZIPPER, ablaze in glory.
Needless to say, I realized I don't quite have the eight-year-old resilience I had the last time I rode it. We were both sick-tired for a good hour after.

3 comments:

  1. love the 80's neon ugly sweater party! ahah! And love the fact that you and J went on the ZIPPER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really funny that you went on the zipper. That is THE classic fair ride in my childhood memory. Guess I'm not alone. Although I'm certain I will probably never ride it again. I crossed that off my bucket list in childhood and I have no desire to repeat the nauseous misery. Glad you had fun at the fair, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd take hushpuppies and corn on the cob over chocolate covered bugs any day. I can't believe you two did the zipper! Oh My! If sick-tired was your only consequence, you did pretty well!

    ReplyDelete